You will constantly be told that in a competitive market, presentation of your property is
paramount to help it stand out and attract the attention of a good tenant. Modern fixtures
and fittings and a high standard of cleanliness are essential but there is something else that
is very often overlooked – the ability of your agent to present the property in the correct
manner and to attract the right tenant. Therefore when choosing your agent, why not ask
the following questions:-
1. Will my property receive extensive advertising both on the internet and in a good local
2. Will my agent show prospective tenants around in the evenings and at weekends, as
well as during normal working hours?
3. Will my agent move my new tenant in at the weekend if this is what suits the tenant best?
4. Will my agent collect tenants from the train station and bus station in Cambridge and
drive them around from property to property?
5. Will my agent offer my new tenant a service whereby on request they can make up beds
and stock the fridge thus giving my new tenant good reason to want to use my agent?
6. Once let and depending on the service I have opted for, will my agent pay over rents
quickly and carry out thorough quarterly inspections?
Guide to First Time Landlords
Potential Tenants have an increasing choice of Property available to them to rent, especially in Cambridge where we have seen extensive new developments being built in the last few years alone.
Property should therefore be presented on the market in a well presented and clean condition. Here are just a few pointers which we hope you will find helpful:-
- Gardens both to the front and rear of the Property should be as neat as possible
- Exterior paintwork should be in good order, especially the front door as first impressions are always lasting
- Do get windows cleaned. It is amazing how much extra light this will bring into a Property
- Please make sure that all light bulbs are working. It can be hard to show a Property in the dark!
- Take a step back and look at internal decoration. If paintwork is tired it will be noted by potential Tenants. A fresh lick of paint in light and neutral colours can transform a room.
- Kitchens: A modern kitchen is always high on a potential Tenant’s list, however we are not suggesting that you rush out and fit a new kitchen. Sealant and grouting should be clean, cupboard hinges sound, work surfaces in good order and flooring easy to clean. We do advise leaving a cooker as essential and flexibility over white goods should be considered.
- Bathrooms: Again, an area high on a potential Tenant’s list. We strongly advise providing a shower unless it really is not financially feasible. Again, whilst potential Tenants will always rate a modern bathroom as being high on their priority list, the key again is to ensure that sealant and grouting is clean, the suite is presented in a clean condition and flooring suites a bathroom and is easy to clean.
- If you are still living in the Property when it first goes onto the market, please de-clutter as much as possible during the marketing period. In this respect, if the Property is going to be let furnished it is really helpful if we could have a list of any furniture that WILL NOT be staying for the let. On the whole we do not advise leaving pots and pans, cutlery, crockery and other kitchen items even when offering the Property furnished. We do advise always leaving a hoover for a furnished let though.
- We would always recommend that if your Property has a garden that a basic set of gardening tools and lawnmower are provided by you for the Tenant. These items will be included of course on the inventory.
- Loft space. If you intend to exclude your loft space from a let then it is essential that you arrange for some sort of lock system to prevent access by Tenants. We should have a copy of the key in our office though.
- Garage and shed space. If you are providing these to a Tenant, except for gardening equipment, we would recommend that you leave these areas empty. If you do wish to keep them for your own purposes for storage then again they should be locked and secure to prevent access by the Tenant.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate how
promptly you all dealt with my query! I had
an excellent experience renting through
Marilla Garland and I recommend you to
everyone. Everyone has been very kind and
helpful throughout every step of the
Marilla - thank
you for an informative reply! Your
knowledge of all things to do with property
rental is second to none!
Thanks so much
Mel. I've been worried about this.
People tell me sad stories about their
experiences with landlords and their agents
but you guys have been nothing but excellent
every time I've contacted you
I had a
wonderful stay at the property and the
process of checkout went on very smooth. The
kind of support I received from Marilla
Garland Management right from beginning of
my tenancy till the process of checkout was
impressive. In future when I am back in
England specifically in Cambridge to do
business, I will get in touch with you
Hi Mel, it was a pleasure staying in the
flat and having you as a letting agent.
Thank you very much for everything and
especially being flexible and allowing us to
stay for another 2 days.
I just need to mention
In our 7 years of renting, we had terrible
experiences with estate agencies. With this
agency it was very different. We did
recommend you to our downstairs neighbour
who wanted to rent out his flat. So, thanks
for taking care of us.
Just wanted to
say a big thank you for all the staff at
Garlands for their kind co operation and for
their assistance throughout the period of
our stay in the flat.
thanks to you for everything you’ve done.
I can’t believe
this time has come for me to vacate. I
appreciate all the help and co operation
from Marilla Garland Property- you have
certainly been the best letting agent in the
3.5 years I’ve lived in the United Kingdom.
May you thank
everyone at Marilla Garland Property for all
they have done for me over the last 2 years.
I really enjoyed my tenancy and your
professionalism. Thanks again.
Mr G- student.
I’d just like
to say thank you for being great agents!
Everyone has been a delight to deal with,
both friendly and approachable. A happy
Miss K- Student
I just moved
into one of your properties with my partner
and I’d just like to say what a great job
Don did for us. He was extremely helpful,
welcoming and easy to talk to. It was a
breath of fresh air to liaise with him and
We have been
really happy with Marilla Garland. Don was
exceptionally responsive and helpful as
always, and considering the general
interaction we have had with most property
managers in England, I was scale Marilla
Garland at the top. We would work with the
team again without hesitation.
We wanted to
thank the team at Garlands for you help in
our move to Cambridge more than two years
ago and for your support with our tenancy
Mr and Mrs A.
refreshing to be with an estate agent that
are so professional and efficient.
I am always
amazed by the high level of customer service
we always receive. I know for a fact that
other letting agencies are not nearly this
We’ve been really impressed by the friendly
professionalism of all those at Marilla
Thank you very much for everything you have
done for me over the years, I have really
appreciated the service you have given me as
it has been very smooth and reliable. It
also has a personal touch to it! I wish you
all the best and I will of course have no
hesitation in passing on business to you in
The best experience I’ve had with a letting
I want to thank you again and just say how
impressed I am with your agency, it really
does shine so far above all the other in
service and professionalism.
I would like to take this opportunity of
thanking you for giving me (and my tenants)
a first-class professional service, which
gave me peace of mind during my travels.
I would like to say what a pleasure it has
been renting the property and dealing with
yourselves who have been far and away the
most pleasant estate agent I have ever dealt
Thank you for your excellent service during
We appreciate your team at Marilla Garland,
this was the best experience we have had
with a property management company.
I think you have looked after us very well
and your managing the tenancy has helped to
make our stay a happy one. Should we need a
letting agency in the future or if someone
asks me to recommend one, I shall certainly
think of you first.
Dear Marilla, a big thank you for all your
help and support. Much appreciated. Warmest
Mr and Mrs W.
It is so nice
to deal with an agency this time round that
is so polite and very helpful.
May I also take this opportunity to thank
you and all at Marilla Garland for all of
your help, efficiency and compassion at
dealing with our flood! I am sure that other
letting agents would not have been so
forthcoming, and it is really very much